Netflix India is looking to hire a legal professional for the job role of Senior Legal Counsel for Intellectual Property (IP).
About Netflix India
Netflix is a streaming service that offers a wide variety of award-winning TV shows, movies, anime, documentaries, and more – on thousands of internet-connected devices.
Netflix’s India team – responsible for great television series like Sacred Games, Delhi Crime, Lust Stories, and more.
About the Opportunity
The incumbent, in this position, will be reporting to the Director- Intellectual Property, Litigation & Content Grievances (India) on topics a broad range of issues relating to IP in the film and television industry, including rights acquisition, copyright issues, chain-of-title clearances, title clearances and registration, production clearance of content, IP enforcement, IP claims defense, moral rights issues and defamation claims.
This role will closely collaborate with the Content, Production, Public Policy, Communications, Marketing, Litigation and Content Grievances that work together to create Netflix’s great content.
- Identify legal and IP related risks in our content and help our Content team navigate them.
- Collaborate with Content and Business & Legal Affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution.
- Collaborate with the Business & Legal Affairs teams for advising on complicated rights structuring in agreements.
- Analyze trademark clearances, including multi-jurisdiction searches in collaboration with the Trademark team.
- Manage IP and music related claims in the pre-litigation stage.
- Collaborate with Litigation, Public Policy and Regulatory teams for litigation and regulatory work that involves IP issues.
- Rapidly respond to production clearance issues and queries of the production houses and the creative team.
- Conduct chain of title review for complex rights acquisition and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
- Negotiate and draft license agreements, release forms and no objection letters etc. for a wide variety of production materials.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Legal team to advise on IP-related issues in marketing and promotional content.
- Work on creating innovative workflows/projects between IP and other teams to drive more efficienciency.
- 9+ years of working experience as an in-house lawyer in the Indian media and entertainment industry or as a counsel in a law firm specializing in the area of media and entertainment.
Skills, Experience, and Competencies Required
- Meticulous understanding of Media & Entertainment Laws, Intellectual Property laws, Civil and Criminal laws, Information Technology laws and Constitutional law.
- Production clearance experience for film and/or television series, including managing production personnel and negotiating and drafting legal documentation such as license agreements, no objection letters, release forms for a wide variety of production materials.
- Good knowledge of filmed entertainment and the production process.
- Seasoned experience with dealing in complex rights transactions for acquisition/license of book rights, underlying copyrightable works rights and content rights.
- Experience managing heavy workflow and cross vertical collaboration independently.
- Outstanding communication skills and a bias toward creative and innovative thinking.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment interacting with production houses, cross-functional departments and vendors.
- Highly collaborative and responds positively to pressure, change and new ideas. Curious and eager to tackle matters outside the area of expertise.
- A great leader who has had earlier experience of handling a high-performing team.
- Sense of humor!